Friday, April 5, 2013

Forrest Gump

Have you ever thought how cleansing it would be to just go for a walk?  And then...just...keep...walking?

I have moments of such desire constantly.

Minus the beard.

So for my second post I thought I'd ramble on about how spacey I am. lol.  And how it makes me laugh that I am so spacey.  And how my mother claims she has ADD and we kids laugh at that too.  And how I'm thinking just starting this blog will make me more focused! (readers -can you hear the maniacal laughter???)  Really, I don't usually mock myself so heartily because I also can get depressed and irritable when I reflect on these things.  In fact, I am in such a precarious mental state right now that I probably should be writing about "safer" subjects.   But, ok, I think going on a long walk is pretty safe, don't you?  Henry David Thoreau believed walking in nature was like a trek to the Holy Land: So we saunter toward the Holy Land, til one day the sun shall shine more brightly than ever he has done, shall perchance shine into our minds and hearts, and light up our whole lives with a great awakening light, as warm and serene and golden as on a bankside in autumn. (from Walking)  This is what I believe is my purpose for writing and for walking - and why I chose Into The White as my blog's name (besides being a very cool Pixie's song and referencing my married name).

There are many who don't seem to require these kinds of pilgrimages, long or short, in order to maintain their personal peace and intergrity, but I believe it is essential to preserving one's spiritual peace and integrity.  I know it is so for me.  In his talk "Of Things That Matter Most," Dieter F. Uchtdorf quotes Ghandi when pondering the solution to the stresses of modern life: 
There is more to life than increasing its speed.

There are seasons for speed and work and seasons for rest and reflection and I'm thankful they are all part of the plan.  Even if I'm not always in charge of their timing.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Very HDT. I felt that many times. When we walked Walden. Across our Eagle Mountain hills. Along the Provo River when we were dating. You're a beautiful writer Susie. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete